Monday 23 April 2012

April 22, Lindos, Rhodes, and Travel Highs and Lows


Today marked our one month anniversary of travel, and the halfway point for Ian’s trip.  We rented a car, and drove to Lindos, halfway up the eastern side of the island.  Although we had been there before, the unparalleled beauty of the site, and the advancement in reconstruction efforts made us very glad we had returned for another visit.  We also enjoyed a scenic drive across the island to Ancient Kámeiros, which had closed at 2:00, as do almost all sites in Greece in this, the off season.  This left us with three hours of car time and nowhere to go!  We attempted a couple of beaches, then headed off to Rhodes airport for our flight to Crete.


Our day didn’t start as early as we had planned back in Canada.  Breakfast is not available until 9:00, and our car did not arrive until 10:30.  Luckily for us, Sunday is the only day of the week that cars are allowed inside the walls of Rhodes, so our car was delivered to us right on the Street of Knights.  The car representative came into the delightful garden of our hotel, and the paperwork was completed, then he kindly suggested a route – Lindos first, then to Kámeiros, since it is close to the airport.  He also suggested the Valley of the Seven Springs and the Valley of Butterflies.  I had packed the heavy books back into my suitcase, which makes it unmanoeuvrable but gives us the right number of pieces of luggage for an airplane, and forgetting that it was heavy, bent to pick it up and dropped everything else – camera, GPS, purse, backpack, all went sliding across the cobbles of the courtyard.  After everyone from the rental guy to the desk clerk to the other guests eating breakfast rushed to help me, I bid a very embarrassed adieu to Dimitri, (a desk clerk who looks exactly like our son James, as I told him after a I shared a very nice bottle of wine with Ian last night!), and away we went. 

The map supplied by the car rental company doesn’t give highway names or numbers, which isn’t as illogical as it sounds, since none of the highways display numbers, and few of the streets do either.  Therefore, I use the GPS as a backup to my map, and was puzzled as to why I couldn’t get Lindos to come up, when I had been able to do so while sitting in the courtyard.  The map didn’t help either, so Ian finally pulled over, and found he couldn’t even find Greece!  To our horror, the memory card that has the maps of Europe on it had popped out of the GPS!  Gimli was working blind, and so was Ian.  We searched the car, to no avail, and realized it must have come out when I threw my possessions about.  Back we went to Rhodes town, Ian parked at a gate, and I literally ran back to the Street of Knights, up past the startled tour groups, and into the alleyway, where I had to stop and go slowly, in case it had come out on the way to the car.  I searched the ground, realizing with a sick feeling that because the streets are paved with flat stones set on edge, the tiny memory card could be between them anywhere on the street.  Frantically searching the ground, I walked back into the hotel, and the first thing I saw inside was the chip sitting in a flower pot’s saucer!  I don’t know how I happened to notice it, but thankfully retrieved it, dried it off a bit, and ran back to give Ian the happy news.  Ian, meanwhile, had managed to park the car, and had come to help, but I had run out the other gate, so he didn’t see me.  Five minutes later, he was back at the car, and the entire near debacle had only set us back about 20 minutes, or so Ian generously informed me.  (Ian is really sweet when problems are my fault, and not due to stupid devices, or worst of all, anything he did himself.  Since he is way nicer to me than he is to himself, we play this game where I try to make everything my fault.  This time, it really was.)

Off we went, not having to stop at any ceramic stores, as one must when on tour, and soon we were at Lindos.  Our first stop was the amazingly beautiful church, painted from floor to ceiling with images representing key events from the New Testament, and full of the scent of incense and beeswax candles.  A tiny woman in black asked visitors not to take pictures, and to donate to the church, both of which we did, or didn’t, as requested.  Ian was very impressed, as there was a funeral in the church last time he was there, and he hadn’t seen it before.  Last time I saw it, I got a big lump in my throat, and this time, I also got a big lump in my throat.  There is something about seeing such an amazing art work, created out of love and devotion, even more than personal expression, that really moves me.

After that we ignored the donkeys – I don’t do donkeys, although I had a lovely conversation with one – and I began my second vertical hike of the day, up to see the amazing  acropolis at Lindos.  The town of whitewashed stucco blocks is as picturesque as ever, and the amazing turquoise sea seems to go on forever. 
This fellow and I had a real connection.

 
As we began the steps up to the Crusader’s Castle, we paused to marvel once again at the carving of a trireme at the bottom of the stairs.  If you’ve seen the famous statue of Nike on the stairway at the Louvre, you might be interested to know that many experts think that both works were done by the same sculptor.

 We passed through the castle, and were surprised to find that the temple of Lindian Athena is more complete than when we last saw it.  Although  a lot of the blocks are modern, they have done a marvellous job of indicating which is old and which is new, so that you get a real sense of what the site was like as a temple, without feeling that you are in some commercial tourist site where they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes.  We were really glad that we had followed the advice of the car rental guy, especially when we discovered that the site closed at 2:00.

 

We decided that we had better abandon both our plans for a swim and the trip to the Mycenean Graveyard, as we had to return the car at 5:00 and it was after 1:00.  The trip through the pine forests was beautiful, and I was relieved to find that place names were spelled out in both Greek and Roman letters.







We were surprised to find that, like Lindos, the site close at 2:20, with the last admission at 2:00.  We were just in time to see the curator drive away.  We tried unsuccessfully to peek through the fence, walked the fence line as far as it was safe, and then a bit farther, and then we tried to figure out what to do next.  After several unsuccessful attempts to see other historic sites which were either closed, or poorly indicated, we decided to spend our last couple of hours on Rhodes at the beach – after all, we were both wearing bathing suits under our clothes.

Unfortunately, the sea was very rough and muddy, so it didn’t look too appealing for a swim, but we found some concrete bunkers left over from World War II, so it wasn’t a total loss.  They were ugly and covered with graffiti, but yellow blooms of  portulaca were growing over them.


 
We went to the airport, waited for the check-in desk to open, and cleared security.  I changed out of my bathing suit, and managed to transfer several burrs from my socks to my underwear, so this gave me something to do for the next little while! 

Suddenly, we both realized that neither of us had printed the voucher for the car we had rented.  We booted the laptop, but couldn’t find the saved copy, and had no idea how we were going to find our car.  Equally distressing was the fact that the gate for our flight wasn’t posted, and we couldn’t find any information, even though it was 6:10, and our flight was supposed to leave at 6:20.  At exactly 6:15, the gate was posted, and the little plane – a Canadian Dash 8! --  took off on time.

We landed at Iraklion airport, and spent an hour finding a connection to figure out the car situation, and Ian eventually did!  However, by this time we had to make our entire drive out to Elounda in the dark.  The GPS took us straight to our hotel, where we were too late for a meal, and ate cookie dust from the bottom of one of the packs.  Our room was institutional but clean, and we were relieved to have made it as far as Crete.


No comments:

Post a Comment